4/23/20

Gathering Graces 4/21/2020 My Heart Dances With The Daffodils

When I was in sixth grade in Mrs. Tregoning's class at Sunnyside Elementary, one of our assignments that year was to memorize a poem.  I think we also wrote out the poem and drew a picture to go with the poem.

The poem I memorized was "Daffodils" by William Wordsworth.

Maybe this is one of the reasons I get so excited when my daffodils start to bloom.  Because back in sixth grade, I memorized a really great poem.



Daffodils
By William Wordsworth

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced, but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not be but gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed'and gazed'but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils. 


As I read through this poem, I think, as many of us are currently experiencing a vacant or pensive mood.  And if this is the case, what image do we have that gives us the "bliss of solitude", and fills our heart with pleasure.  For Wordsworth, it was the daffodils.  Today, it was not only the daffodils, but three other yellow flowers I found blooming in my yard.  As Wordsworth says in the third stanza "I gazed' and gazed' but little thought, What wealth the show to me had brought".  Often we don't appreciate the shows we experience in nature.  But today, I appreciated the cheery yellow blooms of daffodils, tulips, Oregon grape blooms and forsythia.

Oregon grape

Forsythia

Tulips


Today, my heart was surely dancing with the daffodils.

No comments: