4/19/20

Gathering Graces 4/18/2020 And I Will Give You Rest

Restless Nights.  Can't Sleep.  Mind Can't Settle Down.  Insomnia.

I have experienced some of this in the last few weeks.  I have seen people on my social media sites proclaiming the same thing.  People are finding it hard to sleep.

This morning in my Bible reading, I feel like I was gently reminded of how I, as a Christian, can turn to Jesus with this problem.  It is a very common passage that is very familiar, but often we need to be reminded of even these common passages.

In Matthew 11: 28-29 I was reminded:  "Come unto me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble of heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

But I have to make the first step.  This doesn't "magically" happen.  I have to take the action, the first three words, "come unto me".  Once I come  unto Jesus, then he will give me rest.  And next he asks me to "take my yoke upon you", and he reminds us that his yoke is easy and his burden is light".

And it really is as simple as that.  This doesn't mean all my problems will go away.  But it does mean, by coming unto Jesus and taking his yoke, that my burden will be lighter.  And with a lighter burden, my mind and spirit and soul can find peace.  And with that peace comes rest.

I love it when I receive those gentle reminders.






No comments: