7/20/18

Gathering Graces 7/19/2018

*Happy 32nd anniversary to Paul and I today.  And what a wonderful day it was!
*Around 9 a.m. Paul and I rode our bikes over to Christy and Everett’s house, and loaded them onto their pickup.  Bill came over from next door and was our special shuttle driver, taking us to Mullan and dropping us off at the Trailhead so we could begin the first of three bike rides we have planned to ride the entire 72 mile Trail of the Coeur d’Alenes.
*I had never ridden my bike on this part of the trail.  Back when I used to do more bike riding, most of the riding I did on the Trail of the Coeur d’Alenes was between Kellogg and a little past Cataldo.  I enjoyed seeing this part of the trail.  It is so beautiful.  You begin in the town of Mullan, and you travel along the South Fork of the Coeur d’Alene River until you arrive in Kellogg.  There are signs along the way that tell a little history of the Silver Valley, and we stopped and enjoyed reading those along the way.  The trail is downhill all the way.  The Trail of the Coeur d’Alenes is part of the Rails to Trails system where they took the route of the railways, and converted them into paved trails for people to walk and bike on.  This trail is also part of the Idaho State Parks system.
*We arrived back home after our ride, and decided to go to The Hill Street Depot for lunch.  We both enjoyed a couple of their salads, and some ice tea.  After lunch we went next door and each ordered an Affogato, which is two scoops of ice cream with two shots of espresso poured over it.  Delicious!!  While enjoying our anniversary treat, we had a nice conversation with Josh McDonald about Kellogg, and his work as the reporter at our local newspaper.
*An anniversary celebration would not be complete without a celebratory nap in the afternoon. 
*After awaking from our nap, it was time to ride down to the Kellogg Farmer’s Market to check out the booths.  Things were hopping at the market, and we saw lots of people and enjoyed visiting with them!!  I have always admired my friend Christina Wood Mace’s jewelry she sells at the market each week, and today I finally had a reason to purchase a couple pairs of her earrings.  She does a beautiful job!  I bought some cleaner for my eye glasses that are suppose to keep them from fogging up.  I hope it works.  Then I visited with Joy Persoon for a bit.  It was nice to see her out and about.  We also stopped at the two local cheese vendors, and purchased two new kinds of cheese.  I saw Bill and Debbie having some dinner in the beer garden, but by the time I made it over there to say hello, they had already departed.
*Throughout the evening, we received messages through the phone and Facebook from our three daughters wishing us a Happy Anniversary in very unique ways.  All the messages brought us smiles and laughter.
*We rode home, and decided to grill some oysters for our anniversary dinner, along with some Romaine lettuce.  We also added some of the cheeses from the market, and opened up a bottle of Elderberry Mead we had been saving from our visit to Camas Prairie Winery in Boville last spring.  Almost everything we had for dinner was made locally.  What a great way to celebrate!!

A perfect anniversary dinner.

*After dinner we christened the new chess board Paul made on the birch tree stump in our backyard.  I conceded, so Paul won.  We will have a rematch soon!!

Let the games begin!!
*Thirty-two years ago today, our marriage began here in Kellogg.  And thirty-two years later it continues here in this beautiful part of the world we call home.  I wouldn’t want to be sharing my life with anyone else but Paul, or live anywhere else but Kellogg.

No comments: