3/24/20

Gathering Graces 3/23/2020 Pruning Roses

I have a bathtub full of roses in my backyard.



Each rose is in memory of one of our pets that has passed away.

  Here is what they looked like last summer.  I love roses.




Each spring I prune the roses so they grow stronger and more beautiful.



Why?  Here is what I found out:

Pruning roses can be intimidating to gardeners since cutting back beautiful growth seems counterintuitive and can be downright painful if the plant is unruly. But, the practice actually creates a vital plant, as pruning encourages new growth, removes old, dead wood, helps shape the plant, and reduces the chances of fungal disease by opening the rose plant up to airflow.


This got me thinking about my own life.  And what can be pruned from my life.  I may think something that is beautiful growth in my life may actually make me unruly.  And by pruning it away, I become healthier.  And pruning in my life, as in the rose plant, encourages new growth, removes old, dead wood, and helps shape things in my life to make me healthier, physically, mentally and spiritually.


My Bible reading today was Genesis 1-3.  I loved the way the New International Version translated Genesis 1:13.

"And God said, 'Let there be light in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night.  Let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years."

Most translations say seasons in this verse.  I like how this version translates those words to mean "sacred time".  As we move into each season, it is a sacred time.  Right now, it is the beginning of spring.  I like the rhythm and flow of the seasons, and how it moves of into different times of the year.  Each season has a special purpose.  To me spring is reawakening, rebirth, hope, life, color.  Summer is growing, warmth, life.  Fall is harvest, colors, slowing down.  And Winter is slowing down even more, death, sleep, rest.



One of the reason I love living where I do is I get to experience the four distinct seasons.  It is part of who I am.  My body moves to this particular song of a new season every three months. That is the way I roll.



No comments: