12/30/18

Gathering Graces 12/29/2018

*This past month, two teachers Paul and I had at Kellogg High School passed away.  They were married to one another.  Mary Rae Faraca passed away first, on December 8.  Her husband Ray passed away a few weeks later on December 23rd.  They did a combined funeral for them both today at St. Rita’s Catholic Church in Kellogg.  I have known the Faraca family my whole life.  Their home was just around the corner from my childhood home.  They had six sons.  Mr. Faraca was my Biology teacher my sophomore year.  Mary Rae was my Speech teacher and and I also took some English classes from her.  But most importantly, Mary Rae was my Drama and Speech coach in high school.  I traveled to many speech and drama competitions with Mary Rae, and was in numerous drama productions at KHS while in high school.  Ray helped coach Paul in football and track while in high school as well. 
*Two of the sons eulogized their parents.  Tony, who was about four years younger than me, talked about his mom, and how she didn’t like crass language, taught her boys about good manners, and her love of the theater, to name a few things.  Guy, who is a few years younger than Tony, talked about his dad.  While sharing about his dad, he told a story about Paul being the Idaho State Champion in the one mile run during his senior year.  Guy had been at this track meet, and he remembers how proud his dad had been of Paul being the first track state champion from Kellogg High School.  (Neither Paul or I were aware he had been the first!!)  Later, Guy was able to make his father just as proud when he was a state wrestling champion at KHS!!
*As I watched the people walk up front to take communion, it was as if my childhood was passing before my eyes.  There were many people from our old Sunnyside neighborhood in attendance, and, as I watched them walk by, it reminded me of what a great neighborhood we had growing up. 
*George White, an old family friend, also got up and shared a poem about being a coach as a tribute to Ray.  As I was leaving the church, George was sitting in the row behind me, and George is one of the only people in my life that still call me “Pooh”.  Pooh was a nickname my dad called me when I was little.  Dad has been gone now for 22 years.  Wayne  Benson, another old family friend and former band teacher, also called me “Pooh”.  Mr. Benson passed away two years ago.  I love the fact that, even though I am 55 years old, George still calls me by my childhood nickname “Pooh” whenever he sees me.  I have always had a soft spot in my heart for George White.
*There was a potluck in the Parish Hall after the service, an I was able to visit with some people I had not seen in a while.  One in particular was Carolyn Higbee.  Higbees lived back on Riverside, and Carolyn was two years younger than me.  I am so glad she came up and greeted me, and it was nice to have a brief visit with her.  I haven’t seen or talked to her in many years.
*After Paul and I dropped off Bill and Christy as their homes, we went home to get Zoe and drive her to the airport.  She flew back to her home in Nampa this evening.  It was so good to see her and have her around this week.  I hope we get to see her again soon.
*When we returned home from the airport, Paul and I just wanted to relax and watch a movie.  I started to browse through the movie titles on Netflix, and came across a movie that look promising called The Quartet.  It had a cost of British actors that made me wonder what movie I had seen them before.  Tom Courtenay was in the movie we watched yesterday, about the Guernsey Literary Society.  One of my favorite roles of Billy Connolly was in the movie Mrs. Brown.  It took me a while to realize the character Cedric was portrayed by Michael Gambon, who portrayed Dumbledore in the most recent Harry Potter movies.  And another Harry Potter alum is Maggie Smith.  And I remember Pauline Collins from a movie a watched a long time ago called Shirley Valentine.  The premise of this movie, (directed by Dustin Hoffman),  is described like this.....At a home for retired musicians, the annual concert to celebrate Verdi's birthday is disrupted by the arrival of Jean, an eternal diva and the former wife of one of the residents. If you like British movies, and want to watch something light and fun, I highly recommend The Quartet.

No comments: