2/28/14

Meridian

I am visiting Meridian, Idaho.



As we were driving into town today, it seems like a life time ago that my home was Meridian, Idaho.

Paul and I moved her in 1991, with our baby Molly.  We took a leap of faith.  We were living in Montana at the time, but felt God moving us on, away from Glendive.  So we had a few options, but we went with Meridian.  When we arrived, Paul didn't have steady employment, we had no place to live, and we had a 9 month old baby and two cats.

We lived with family for a while...very generous family.  But it was hard not having a place of our own.

Soon we found an apartment (that would take both children and cats), and Paul got a job helping a relative build houses.

By fall, Paul had been hired to teach in the Meridian School District. 

My time in Meridian was one of the hardest times in my life, but I also grew up and grew in my faith by leaps and bounds during that time.

We weren't unlike many first married couples.  Our budget was tight, and we didn't have a lot, but God provided.

We navigated our way through many things during those years.  Our younger two daughters were born while living in Meridian.

I made friendships during that time that are priceless.

I worked with kids at the church in Youth Group and Sunday School that I still think about and pray for often.

Our girls had the opportunity to be surrounded by many grandparents, aunt, uncles and cousins.

Charles Dickens begins his novel "A Tale of Two Cities" like this:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way.

In many ways, this is how I look back on my time living in Meridian.  A dichotomy.  High times.  Low times.  But this time in my life shaped me and my family and made us what we are today.

I'm thankful for my time living in Meridian, Idaho.


No comments: